Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday, Monday.....

It's been a typical Monday around here today. Ethan wanted no part of any self dressing today which messed up our morning routine resulting in Ethan not having a packed lunch for school and me having fresh out of the shower hair. At least I got my shower & teeth brushed! We are all thankful for that!!!

After I dropped Ethan off at Easter Seals, I went to get coffee with Laura, who does the marketing for our area Easter Seals. In April, Ethan's ITAP program will be featured in the newspaper, and they have asked our family to participate as the "face" for this particular article. It was a very pleasant couple of hours, visiting & retelling about Ethan.....of which I could do all day! I am very excited to help Easter Seals promote this ITAP program since it has helped our family so much.

After Ethan was done with his morning preschool at Easter Seals, we drove through for lunch (since I hadn't made it that morning), and headed over to his afternoon preschool. He was showing no signs of distress, so I imagined that today's drop off would go smoothly.

Nope.....

As soon as I parked the car, he started. I opened the side door of our van, and he was already on the floorboards throwing a fit....not a meltdown....a fit. I guess I just am done being Mrs. Nice Mom when it comes to this daily situation. I just told him that I was going to school, and I walked away from him. I didn't offer any transition toy, no calming words, no bartering....I just walked away & left his door open. I was about 4 yards away from the van when I hear, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" He was panicking.....but coming.

He stayed about 4 yards behind me the entire time....and I kept glancing back at him. He kept his head down and was walking very slowly....but he was walking into school. YEAH! The last 2 days of school, I walked him to class & even stayed with him through lunch which is the first thing they do after hanging up bookbags & coats. Today, I wanted to see if I could just walk him to class. I did just that...and he was fine. No crying.

I just don't get why he is so determined to make that transition so tough, but I feel like the adults in his life are doing all we can & know to do for him. And if he still continues to have a difficult time, well......so be it, I guess.

Hopefully, the rest of the week goes a little smoother with getting him to school. As Scarlett O'Hara says, "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment