Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Ethan-ese"

I have a friend who says that her kids have their own language, so she made up a name for it. She would call Ethan's language "Ethan-ese" (said like Japanese). Well, Ethan DEFINITELY has his own language. Because of his autism, he has difficulty with speech. So he has these canned phrases that he has latched on to....and some of them we have no idea where they came from.....but here are a few translations.

"Do you want a drink? Yes!" - This is the format that Ethan uses when he wants something. We are really working on trying to get him to instead say, "I want a drink, please." And if we ask him, "How do you ask?" he will re-ask in the correct way. But, currently, this is how he communicates his needs.

"You DO NOT screaming with me!" - This, sadly, also comes with hitting himself & tears. I don't know where this came from, but this is the format he uses when we tell him not to do something.....like screaming. Then, I tell him, "Don't hit Ethan" in a very "mommy is sad" tone, and he says, "You do not hitting with me!"......and continues to hit himself. This is a very frustrating one because of the hitting portion, but I'm hoping it's just a phase. We just remind him that he's not in trouble & that he is okay, and it usually follows with a hug from us. But it happens every time we tell him no or to not do something.

"I am tired of your incompetence!" - This one cracks me up.....sorry Daddy. He only uses this one with Corey! LOL! Whenever he is having trouble communicating with Corey or Corey is making him do something he doesn't want to do....like putting on shoes to go out the door......Ethan says this to Corey. This came from Mickey & the Three Mouseketeers....Queen Minnie says it to Captain Pete. And it is soooooo hard not to laugh! To hear a 3 year old using such a big word is so funny. AND the fact that he only says it to Corey makes it even more amusing to me! LOL!

"I don't want to get in any trouble, Chuck!" - He says this when other kids around him are getting in trouble or being put in time out. He is very upset, and this usually is a very anxiety filled statement. Again, I just remind him that he isn't in trouble, he is okay, & hugs. This comes from one of his books on his iPad.

"Oh, Goofy! Are you okay?" - This is what he says he falls down AND hurts himself. A common characteristic of kiddos with autism is that they don't seem to register pain. Ethan, taking after his mother, is a VERY clumsy child, so he is often tripping or running into things. However, rarely does he show sign of pain. So when their IS pain registering, this is what he says. Again, it's from Mickey & the Three Mouseketeers.

"I love that song!" - This one is already fading, but it is worth mentioning. This is what he says when he really likes something. If he is watching a cartoon that he really likes, he will say it. If he is playing a computer game that he really likes, he will say it. And one day, after changing his diaper, he stood up, gave me a hug, then looked at me & said it. Ethan will always say, "I love you too, Mom," after I say I love you to him. But NEVER has he out of the blue just told me he loved me......until that day when he looked at me & said, "I love that song." Tears instantly came to me. My son was telling me that he loved me in his own language. Well, a couple of nights ago, I said to Ethan, "I love you, Ethan!" and he said, "I love you too, Mommy....,,(pause)......and Daddy." This was another first, and not completely a canned response. Well, tears didn't come to Corey eyes.........but spread across his face was the biggest smile I have ever seen.

Over time, Ethan's canned phrases will fade away &or change to new ones. These are phrases that he has latched onto in order to try & communicate with us.....instead of having a meltdown. The difficult part is interpreting what he is trying to tell us.

However, Corey & I have noticed a HUGE improvement in Ethan's speech development.....especially since starting preschool.....but really over the last couple of weeks. Yesterday, instead of saying, "Do you want fruit snacks? Yes!" he said this, "I want fruit snacks in a bowl on your (my) lap, please." Once I picked myself up off the floor, I gave that kid all the fruit snacks he wanted! GO ETHAN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment