Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Savoring Moments

Nothing special happening today. My husband has agreed to pick up Ethan from preschool today, so I am taking 20 minutes for myself. As I sit outside taking in the neighborhood sounds, my mind wanders in 100 directions. Does that happen to anyone else?

Most of my days are filled with all things autism. Whether it's hurrying to find a picture to visually help explain something to Ethan or driving him around to his 2 schools, my mind is usually all around Ethan & being the best mother I can be for him. I guess that comes with the territory of being a stay-at-home mom. I feel the pressure of being that perfect 50's housewife.....of which I fall short daily. I also feel inadequate in other areas too...in leading our new special needs ministry at church, in blogging information that would be beneficial to others, in maintaining my relationships with my friends & family, in taking care of myself...I just can't find a balance.

But as I take this 20 minute quiet break for myself, I am filled with a sense of peace. I am reminded that my life will not be this way forever...it's just how it is for right now. Like most of you, I am just trying to do the best I can with the cards I'm dealt....and what else can I do.


Sitting in my backyard, I see a swing set that has graduated from infant swings to "big kid" swings. I see a large trampoline where once a small one was placed. I see a wagon that was once used for pulling a little boy but yesterday was used for HIM to pull his cousin. I see a ball that is used for playing catch....an outdoor activity that was once frustrating. I see Spring taking over our yard. Seasons change...and I want to savor this moment of time.....it's not going to last.


Oh...and look at who is in our backyard now.....



And I'm reminded of the saying.....
We may not have it all together....but together we have it all!

Dear Lord, thank you so much for my wonderful family. 
Help me to remember to enjoy every moment.
It's going too fast. :0/

Now....to enjoy this moment.....






1 comment:

  1. Great post and wonderful reminder of what really matters most.

    ReplyDelete