Thursday, June 21, 2012

Drive-In Movie

This would not have happened last summer. An IMPROMPTU trip!!! Normally, I am a very organized, let's prep Ethan days in advance, kind of mom. However, this past Saturday, my little family of three were swimming in our pool when Corey says, "Today would be a great day to go to the drive-in movies."

I completely agreed! So, I hopped out of the pool & looked up the times/prices of our closest drive-in......an hour away. The earliest movie didn't start until 9pm. And it was Madagascar 3.....a movie filled with screaming & falling (triggers for Ethan). So, Corey decided that all of those things equaled no trip to the drive-in. BUT I WAS SO EXCITED, and it's one of the things on my summer bucket list! So.......we went!

We finished up swimming, I ran to the store for some movie snacks while Corey cooked dinner, and then he got the car ready while I got stuff ready to take with us while we waited for the movie to start....games, books, snacks, drinks, etc.

It was great! And Ethan had a great time. I think his favorite part was the board game I brought! HAHA! He kept asking to play it even when it was way too dark to see the game. (The game was Trouble....more on that another time.) When the movie started, Ethan asked to have the sound turned down. NO PROBLEM! We had full control over the sound! So, it wasn't very loud, but we could still hear it. And he only cried one time through out the whole movie & no meltdowns.....that's a success in our book!

Ethan & I in the back of the van playing games.


Shortly after the movie started, it started pouring rain. Lightening, thunder.....all of it! But Ethan didn't get scared at all! And the rain made it a little cooler and gave our trip an added piece of "adventure." I could watch a movie like that anytime!

We were about 3/4 of the way through the movie, and Ethan says to me, "I want to go home with Mommy." I looked at Corey, and we knew it was time to pack it up. So, we folded up all the blankets & pillows & raised up our stow-and-go seats. By the time everyone was back in their chairs & buckled, the movie had ended. So, we were one of the first cars out of the lot! It was perfect timing!

By the time the movie was over, it was about 10:30pm. Ethan has pretty much dropped his nap, so he was pretty tired. But this child has NEVER, NEVER, NEVER fallen asleep in the car despite how tired he may be. But guess what?????? It was a first! He did it! He fell asleep in the car! YEAH!!!

It was so much fun, and the perfect weekend to do it. It was a great way to spend Father's Day! Just the 3 of us on a little impromptu road trip!

Ethan fast asleep minutes after we got on the road. And, yes, he still takes a pacifier at night. I have addressed this with a group of OT's and they said not to make a big deal of it yet. Just like during the day, he still needs that oral mouthing for comfort at night. That battle will come in time. :0) For now, let's just celebrate this ETHAN FIRST! WOOHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment