Friday, February 17, 2012

Why Do I Love OT? Because It WORKS!!!

This week, I had the privilege of being asked to speak to a group of Occupational Therapists. Myself and another mom of a child with autism were invited to talk about our stories & how OT has helped in our child's development. Well, I'm a HUGE fan of OT, so I was SO excited for this honor. OT has really helped Ethan deal with and overcome a lot of his challenges.

Here is a simple example... The other day, I was trying to video Ethan reciting one of his Bible verses that he had memorized. Here is the first take....without any therapy aids....


I decided not to use this video, but instead try again another day. The next day, he was doing the same thing. Then, duh, I decided to give him a fidget toy in order to help him sit still & focus. To be specific, it is a football stress ball that he has in his hands. Nothing else has changed. Check out the difference in posture, eye contact, and clarity of speech...


Isn't that AMAZING!!!!!!! We are so fortunate to live in a day where we know what occupational therapy can do, and how it can help people overcome their challenges. Ethan has responded so well to OT, and that is why I am constantly looking for ways to incorporate it into our everyday life....and keep it new & fun for Ethan. So, thanks so much to all of you Occupational Therapists! Our life has been forever changed because of your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment