Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Art Without Boundaries

All kids amaze me....I guess that's the teacher in me. But kids with special needs astound me. I am constantly hearing stories of these "underdogs" overcoming their challenges & triumphing in victorious ways. Living with Ethan, I am privileged to see him overcoming these odds on a daily basis. And occasionally, my husband will come home from work with "a Mason story".....

Now to be COMPLETELY honest, when my husband talks about work, I have a very difficult time being a good listener. He is an engineer, and I often find myself being lost in the details of his stories. BUT, when he says that he has a story about his friend's son, Mason, he has my full attention. I LOVE Mason stories. You see, Mason has autism as well. He is elementary school age, so we are often going to this family for support & information. And, although I have never met Mason, I have come to hold him dear to my heart. He is such a sweet & fun kiddo. In fact, several months ago, my husband set up a fundraiser in order to buy Ethan AND Mason each an iPad2....and both boys LOVE their iPads.

Well, Mason was recently featured in his local newspaper for his amazing art skills! He participates in a program called Art Without Boundaries. This program "uses everyday pleasures such as singing, movement, painting and story telling in a unique combination to stimulate dramatic changes in the brain. Although our goal is to provide a rewarding experience, documented testimonies show significant improvement in some clients in verbal skills, mobility, combativeness, spatial acuity and understanding instructions."

And, recently, one of Mason's paintings was wanted by someone from Colorado!!! To read the entire story & to learn more about Art Without Boundaries, please visit the local paper's article. What a great program.....what a great painting.......and what a GREAT KID! WAY TO GO MASON!!!!!!

Mason & his first "sold" painting. (Money given for the paintings is donated to the program.)
This was emailed to me yesterday. It's Mason's latest work of art. What a talented kiddo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment