Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Demolition Begins!

Well, our basement has officially become a construction zone! After selling some household items, we have enough money to begin funding our Sensory Playroom Project. Last week, we focused on selling our stuff as well as doing a typical "clean out the basement" sort. This week, we have focused on the first step in renovating this space....the ceiling. Originally, we were simply going to take down the drop ceiling, put a fresh coat of paint on it, and hang it back up. However, tonight as we took down the ceiling, we realized how much having NO ceiling opened up the space. PLUS, I think having the rafters show would also be beneficial when we install a swing. Now we are thinking of just painting the ceiling & leaving it bare. And I'm already thinking of how I could use this exposed ceiling to increase our sensory play....I'm thinking in the Christmas lights genre.....

This is how our basement looked before we started...

And this is how is looks as of tonight. We sold our big TV & other things, got rid of some random furniture, and removed the drop ceiling. It already is feeling more spacious. It doesn't look like much, but this project is moving right along. Next step....take down the paneling. And do you see that big beam going across the length of the room....I am already talking to my vinyl guy (Corey) about doing some cool lettering there! I can't wait for this room!!!

2 comments:

  1. How's the little man doing with the noise and the change that remodeling brings? Think of all the possibilities!! WOOHOO!! Fun in the making. The trustees are redoing our basement this spring too. Not really thinking Jill will like it..but we'll see. Happy Demo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is okay with the look of the room changing, but he didn't like the noise. He asked for his headphones. At one point, I dropped a ceiling bracket & it made a very loud clanging noise...and we had a meltdown. (rookie mistake!) I told him I was sorry, and he said I forgive you. From then on, every time he heard a noise through his headphones, he would simply say, "I forgive you"....without missing a beat or looking at us....so funny.

    ReplyDelete